Saturday, July 16, 2016

SAC Songwriting & Blogging Challenge #2 - A Story Song Blog 2

As mentioned in my first blog on this second challenge, I did think of another little story. I drafted the verses and chorus, and have been working on it this week. This time, I had hoped to get it and the post to my blog submitted well before the Saturday midnight deadline. Maybe even a day in advance! Ha! Being at a cottage for the last half week with my daughter's family made me almost as late as I was for the first challenge. The internet was non-existent, and my data plan connection very weak. I spent far too long trying to play, listen, and respond to other songwriters - and one afternoon attempting to reply to Roseanne's comment on my post. It does not help that I have an iPad #1.

So.. Today I was home just long enough to pack a bag for SongStudio - the fifth time around for me. For those of you who do not know it, SongStudio is a week-long songwriting intensive. This year it is July 16-22. During the meet and play/sing session today, I was able to warble through my answer to challenge 2. That means there is some hope that one of the musicians in the program will be able to accompany me on it. But not today. So my song demo is a Capella again, and very rough yet.

Overall, this song has emerged within the musical theatre genre, I believe. That is the best way to describe it. Although the chorus has an old-fashioned, singalong sound to it, very appropriate for the setting. But the verses have that slightly operatic, almost recitative quality, with a sort of conversational feel to the way the words are strung together, uneven lines, and internal rhyme in a lot of places. It is still rough, as I said earlier, and I am finding it particularly difficult to sing the same melody in the top half of the second verse as in the first. The chorus and the second halves of the verses do not pose that problem. It is an arch in the line that I want which tends to elude me the second time I come to it.


I hope this blog does give a few of those who work from an instrument a bit of an idea of how I work as an a Capella songwriter. And do enjoy the story of a Port Stanley Summer Love!

No comments: